Unit 8 | Solution
Ralph Highlights the Solution Step: FABs
What are FABs as they relate to your client? Perspective is everything. Ralph illustrates this very important point.
Rainmakers know that Feature, Advantage and Benefit (FAB) selling is not dead! It is essential to know the FAB’s of your products, services or solutions to sell effectively. You build credibility in the eyes of the client by demonstrating your competence and knowledge. Moreover, solution and relationship selling requires incorporating the right FAB’s so you can inform and educate the client that you are able to address their requirements. This creates confidence in you and your solution, and positions you as a partner who can develop a customized solution.
The best Rainmakers present the appropriate FAB’s and supporting value proposition only after they have conducted a thorough discovery and assessment of the client’s requirements. This is in stark contrast to unsophisticated, desperate, old school sales people doing a FAB dump on the client as soon as they get the chance to talk about their products or services. This is the equivalent of trying to give the client a drink from a fire hose. The client gets all wet (information overload) and is still thirsty (no solution provided).
Rainmakers build strong client relationships by providing the right mix of high-value FAB’s that add value and demonstrate that client satisfaction is the priority.
FAB selling is not:
- An information dump
- An opportunity to show how smart you are by droning on about what your products, services, company or you can do or have done
- A sales “tactic” (clients see through tactics and techniques – be real!)
- The secret to sales success (pleeeeesae stop sharing your “secrets to success”. If they’re secrets, keep them to yourself rather than sell them at one low price of X$ if I buy today)
FAB selling is:
- Strategic when the focus is on the client’s requirements
- Value based
- Hard work (The seller must be fully engaged and present in order to understand the client’s requirements in to offer a customized solution)
- Focused on presenting the best solutions, options, resources for the client
If you are uncertain about what the FAB’s of your products, services and solutions are, talk to your technical department, product specialist, engineers or manufacturing staff. Encourage them to conduct training sessions that include demonstrations, role plays or hypothetical client situations that enable you to draw out their deep knowledge and insight. Take their knowledge and create a reference or resource document you can draw upon and use when interacting with your clients.
Rainmakers build their brand and increase their value to their clients by being the best and using FAB’s strategically and effectively.