You can’t be all things to all clients however you need to be the right things to the right clients.
Those who are most successful in selling and business development are not the most flashy or clever, they are those who have learned to do the things that their clients value and respect them for and will gladly pay for.
Check out these seven points to identify what you are doing that puts you in the top seller category or use it as a way to sharpen and refine your approach.
1. They work hard to be trusted, valued and liked and will speak the uncomfortable truth if required to benefit the client.
2. They sell to a network of clients, contacts and influencers not just their “buddies” and friends.
3. They leverage their knowledge and insight by sharing strategically with those that value what they offer. (Information is a commodity, knowledge is power.)
4. They view themselves as a change agent and trusted business advisor NOT just as a “salesperson”.
5. They are future focused and don’t live in the past. They challenge themselves to be better every day and in every client interaction.
6. They create value beyond financial results by collaborating with, and working through challenges with clients to find innovative solutions.
7. They build long-term relationships by using their products, services or solutions to broaden the client’s options, not by pushing products and services to “make a sale”.
It’s relatively easy to make a sale once. It’s another thing to build a profitable relationship where your client wants to buy from you on a repeat basis.