I am convinced that success is achieved not solely based on intelligence, good looks, charm, luck, timing, etc. – in large part its due to just showing up!
Reflecting on when I was building my business, I sometimes wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew. I’d accept a speaking engagement at a conference in a new industry; worried I may not have the right images in my PowerPoint; should I even have a PowerPoint or not; did I wear the wrong suit, or maybe I shouldn’t have worn a suit? Maybe you can relate.
In hindsight, most of that didn’t matter. What really mattered was that I showed up and that put my mind, heart and energy into the presentation and did my best to connect with the audience and create value.
Here’s a few things I’ve learned along the way that may help you:
- Go even when you don’t feel like it. (feelings can trick you and undermine your confidence)
- Go even when everything is not 100% (if you wait until its perfect you’ll never do a thing)
- Realize that the audience is interested in learning from you – that’s why you are at the front of the room and they are sitting in the chairs.
- Be prepared to shift or move to another topic, or even drop what you prepared if the situation warrants you adapt to connect with the audience.
- Don’t think too highly of yourself. We like confidence but arrogance repels.
- Do your homework before you get there – don’t wing it.
- If you happen to really mess up, say sorry, learn from it and do better next time.
- Believe in yourself. If you don’t how will anyone else?
If 80% of success is just showing up, work hard to fill the other 20% so you can deliver 100%!